Improving the Patient Experience: Before, During, and After Procedures
Patients increasingly choose healthcare providers who can respond to their specific needs. In fact, 72 percent of patients indicate that they would switch health care providers (HCPs) to get their preferred patient experience.
Now is the time for dermatology providers to embrace changes that improve the patient experience. New technology such as microMend improves the patient experience during office procedures by limiting visits, increasing comfort, and reducing medical costs.
The Importance of Patient Experience to HCPs
HCPs need to honestly assess the patient experience from a patient's first appointment to their final follow-up.
Positive patient experience benefits HCPs by:
- Increasing patient retention rate. As the cost of a patient acquisition continues to rise, HCPs must prioritize patient continuity. Providing exceptional care is one of the most realistic ways to reduce patient turnover. Every HCP develops a reputation. Prioritizing patient experience can translate to great patient satisfaction and, ultimately, a high patient retention rate.
- Improving clinical outcomes. Patients who trust their health care providers have better clinical outcomes. This means that the more the patients trust their HCPs, the more effective their treatment will be. By meeting the needs of patients, HCPs can help raise their satisfaction level and even make their work easier. High patient satisfaction not only makes the patient/provider relationship more enjoyable, but it’s also a huge investment in the future of a dermatology practice.
microMend Improves the Dermatology Patient Experience
microMend is a revolutionary new technology that improves upon the drawbacks of traditional sutures and staples in wound care to create a more pleasant, economical, and efficient experience for patients.
microMend is a butterfly-shaped bandage which securely closes wounds using an array of stainless steel microstaples that securely fasten to the skin. It is as effective as staples or sutures for wound closure without the cost and clinical expertise required for traditional skin closure methods.
Painless During Application and Removal
With traditional wound closure, anesthesia is typically required to maintain patient comfort during the procedure. MicroMend, however, is painless upon application and removal.
Comfortable to Wear
microMend can be worn for up to 14 days, and during that time, the device is much more comfortable to wear than staples or sutures. MicroMend's microstaples are fixed with a narrow and uniform spacing to provide tight skin closure. These microstaples contain cantilevered springs and a clear elastic backing which adjusts to patient skin movement perfectly to provide comfort without skin irritation.
Additionally, microMend’s elements are made of medical-grade, hypoallergenic components.
Convenient for Patients
microMend can be applied in seconds—in fact, it's 7 times faster to apply than sutures for dermatology procedures. The ease of application helps keep patient visits short and reduces the time spent by patients in waiting rooms.
Unlike sutures or medical staples, microMend is designed to be removed by the patient. This eliminates the need for a post-surgical wound care follow-up for most patients, which benefits both the patient and dermatology practices.
Cost-EffectivemicroMend is more cost-effective than traditional wound closure methods in a few key ways:
- Patients using microMend do not require a follow-up appointment, saving patients money on costly medical bills.
- microMend costs 50% less than a suture tray, since it does not require anesthesia.
- microMend can be applied by ancillary personnel, such as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses, and nursing assistants
Universal for All Patients
microMend's painless application makes it a great choice for wound care of all patients, particularly children. It's also a more delicate wound care technology, making it ideal for managing the thin, sensitive skin of elderly or chronically ill patients. It's highly effective at closing skin tears as well as surface-level wounds.
Better Cosmetic Results and Outcome
Clinical studies demonstrate that microMend improves cosmetic outcomes. Use of microMend produces less inflammation and tissue damage, which cause scarring. It also eliminates wound gaps and reduces skin irritation.
There's no one-size-fits-all remedy for ensuring a great patient/provider relationship, but consistently making adjustments to improve the patient experience benefits patients and dermatology practices. Adopting advanced technology such as microMend can help by increasing patient comfort and reducing medical costs.